Friday, June 02, 2006

polly toynbee

I'm always slightly alarmed when the people I e-mail write back. Polly Toynbee is one of the most widely read columnists in England and she's not a blogger but she still replied to my rather blunt e-mail taking issue with her stance on immigration. If past experience is anything to go by she won't reply to my gentler follow up e-mail.

I get the feeling that this is a case of two people existing in different domains. We may use the same (english) words, but have different ways of using them. It's not like I expect to have an effect on her but it drives me crazy. She thinks that the people who live in relative poverty in England live in poverty. She doesn't seem to register that there are people who are far worse off. If she has registered then she doesn't care.

It is maddening because the information is there, right in front of her face.

I think I need to go find a bucket of cold water...

4 comments:

Swart Donkey said...

Do we get to see your mail, her response and your follow up mail?

stuart said...

nope.

GT said...

Why not?

stuart said...

My e-mail to her is quite rude, I didn't expect her to reply, so now I'm embarrased.

Her reply is just a plug of her book on low wage work in england.