Friday, August 18, 2006

accidental death

If people believe that they will go to heaven when they die, why do they still fight to the bitter end when the going gets tough? I know that you?re not supposed to want to die but that doesn?t mean that it wouldn?t affect people?s behavior. I?ve often had discussions where people have lamented the inconsistency of the religious; they say they believe one thing but then rush off and get drunk, cheat and steal etc. This is normally explained away; sometimes it?s claimed that those people are not really religious but more often there is a more understanding explanation.

But suddenly when asked why religious people don?t frequently get involved in fatal accidents I?m told that it?s because they know that God wouldn?t approve, i.e. people are carefully considering the theological implications of all of their actions. I find this extremely implausible. Unsurprisingly, I think the Simpsons says it best (through Maude Flanders)
It was terrible Neddy! I thought I was going to eternal bliss in paradise!

No comments: