Thursday, September 21, 2006

torture

Here's an interesting post about torture. The liberal in me says that torture is never ok but the utilitarian in me says that under some circumstances torture is the best way to go.

I squirm out of this with rule utilitarianism. We don't always know what the consequences of our actions will be so we follow certain rules most of the time. The more information we have the more justifiable deviations from the rule generally becomes: knowing the rules is not a way out of moral reflection. Torture should always be illegal, but the next time Jack Bauer gets a little physical with the terrorist and saves the day we shouldn't judge him harshly. I still think he should be prosecuted etc, maybe even go to jail for forms sake but I don't think it is morally wrong.

Maybe that would be a good time for a presidential pardon.

No comments: