Tuesday, March 06, 2007

vista

I'm gonna buy a laptop soon (!) and I can choose between Vista and XP. I want Vista, because it's all new and stuff, but I've been reading up on it. I discovered some surprising (to me) things:
  1. You need a very fancy machine to make it run properly; fancier than I'm getting.
  2. Despite this, there are few real advances over XP. Several features they had planned were scrapped because they were to hard to program.
  3. It is no better, or prettier, than the SuSE Linux operating system.
This isn't exactly exhilarating news, but at least it's not a raging disaster! Yay!

What I want to know though, is what the hell is wrong with Microsoft!? It's one thing not to come up with all the cool new innovations (though why shouldn't they? Steve Jobs' people seem to be able to), but it's another to shelve so many projects because they were to hard. $100 000 000 000 000 and all the geniuses in the world could not solve the bloody problems! Lesser mortals are able to program cool software, are operating systems that much more difficult than everything else. It's not like they didn't have enough time, the project was started six years ago! No cool new features!

I am a complete ignoramus when it comes to this stuff so maybe I have said many stupid things in this post, but does the point that Microsoft sucks not stand?

Added: Wired does not recommend buying a computer pre-loaded with Vista. Oh dear…

No comments: