Tuesday, May 08, 2007

pity I missed it

The Sen talk I went to was a little boring. I didn't disagree with the central theme of his talk which was, "the causes of violence are complicated" but I wasn't blown away either.

I'd rather have gone to the discussion the day after where Sen said:
If you're in a meeting, and somebody says, "The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer." just about nobody will contradict this, even though it is not true. Because, if you do, you're perceived as inhuman.
I've met people who think this poor getting poorer stuff is actually part of the definition of capitalism. I can also imagine the response to contradicting the statement, "So you're saying that [add group] are not poor!?", "GDP per capita in Zimbabwe has fallen by 33% over the past 10 years.", "The richest 1% received 50% of all the income in the past year." and so on and so forth.

No comments: