Thursday, September 13, 2007

As it is in heaven

I’m a bit of a sucker for overly sweet, sentimental movies, so I enjoyed it. I think most of it works well, it makes familiar themes feel fresh and sincere rather than canned and manipulative, but it was still all very familiar.

So it was very close to what I expected in the end, which means I think the hype is mysterious. But I am probably misunderstanding why people like the movie so much.

The audience clapped after the credits! Amazing! I wonder where this clapping thing started, because, it was very, very clear that people only clapped because they had heard that other people had clapped. A trickle of clapping lasting 5 seconds is not a spontaneous eruption of approval.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

People like it so much, even though it may have had some similar themes to other movies, because it makes them feel something. It's like those romantic comedies where you believe the couple actually love each other, and the others where you can't see it at all.

Secondly the themes of religion and music are not often explored as they were in the movie.

I also liked the characters. They weren't totally boring and some of them, like the conductor had some real depth and integrity. The acting was great too.

I really enjoyed the music, the discussion of music and the effect the music had on the characters.

Lastly, it was sweet, though I might have changed the ending.

Tracy

stuart said...

I agree with most of what you say. But all that can be true and the movie could still not deserve the hype and praise it has received.