Friday, December 07, 2007

The lion the witch and the wardrobe

Is obviously a Christian story directed at kids. "The Golden Compass" from the trailer looks similar has an atheisty story, and is also aimed at kids.

So now (at least some) people are outraged

In early October, the New York-based Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights launched a boycott of the film, calling it "selling atheism to kids" at Christmastime in stealth fashion...

Adam Holz of Focus on the Family, writing on the Christian ministry's Plugged In site, calls Pullman's books and the film a "deliberate attempt to foist his viciously anti-God beliefs upon his audience."

Most diabolical, Holz said in an interview, is that Pullman's audience is children, setting it apart from another book-to-movie some Christians view as heretical -- "The Da Vinci Code."

I'm sure only a few people care much one way or the other, but the whole thing emphasis on kids is crazy. Parents want to teach their kids stuff they believe is true, it doesn't help to insist that I'm right and you're wrong.

8 comments:

??? said...

but i am right and you are wrong

Tracy Leigh said...

This is a weird complaint as dozens of children's movies not-so-subtly, sell Chritianity. Christianity is not the accepted truth or religion for millions of people around the world. But somehow it's ok this time?

Is it ok to sell any ideological and moral beliefs to kids in movies?

I hate the idea of kids being brainwashed and emotionally manipulated, but in the end stories have to tell you something. A compromise would be to allow kids to be exposed to a range of ideas. Hopefully with time they will be able to make up their own mind.

??? said...

I think Tracy is right and Stuart is wrong

Stuart said...

you "think" ha ha ha! I counter your thinking with KNOWING that I'm right (although I'm not sure exactly what my position is)

??? said...

My thinking can not be countered. I am the law. I declare Tracy Grand Queen of Rightness, and You Dark Overlord of Wrongness. I have spoken.

Stuart said...

I guess there's only one way to prove your pathetic wrongness... violence.

??? said...

violence solves everything... you are on

Stuart said...

of course we'll need to coordinate to conduct this violence, so let me know where you'll be for the next few weeks and I'll stop by sometime.