Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Yay

Federer won the Laureus award for the world's top sportsman for the fourth straight year. I do think this pretty cool and the award does seem to have more currency than any other award that I know of.

That said, I think Woods probably should have won this year. The bias against individuals from team sports is bad enough for me to add a mental asterisk to some of the winners (though Woods and Federer have surely been worthy winners). And Trevor will probably never speak to me again, but I don't think the Boks were the best team of last year either. I disagree with half of the choices made for this award, so it's not just anti-patriotism that makes me say this.

7 comments:

Trevor Black said...

What team pray tell do you think achieved more?

stuart said...

Aussie cricket side.

Greg Torr said...

I agree that Boks didn't deserve it. They lost both games they played against NZ, one against Australia, and almost lost to Australia at home. If you think the Boks deserved to win the award, that basically means that you think the winner of the rugby world cup should always win it. But why? The cricket world cup was also held last year remember. And many more people play cricket, if that's going to be a consideration...

stuart said...

yip

I think they won the cricket world cup more impressively and they didn't have a bad year in their other matches either. they did all this while losing several of their best players.

Greg Torr said...

Eerie silence from Trevor. What do you think he's going to do to us?

Stuart said...

donno. I'm feeling pretty tense.

trev said...

Remember who owns your soul Stuart.

Remember who owns your brothers soul Greg.

Don't expect logic from me in sport.

Expect pain.