Saturday, March 01, 2008

No Country for Old Men (or, Is it Just Me or is Everything Shit)*

(Mild) spoiler alert: I thought it was mesmerising, though I liked mostly as an action thriller (which, of course, I don't mean as a criticism) not the deep movie I take it to be trying to be.

I hate excessively bleak, pessimistic movies and Old Country seems to suggest that things are getting worse (implied in the title), which usually really annoys me, but this time I didn't mind at all. Apparently society is callously indifferent to the fates of ordinary, decent people. Some people are spared, some not, based on nothing more than the flip of a coin (literally) and you can't hide. You can take it like a man though...

Anyway, the movie creates some totally awesome characters, completely compelling without being real or remotely human. That's pretty cool.

* Best book title, ever.

2 comments:

patrick said...

no country for old men is unassumingly unconventional...

dumbfounding form a moral angle, but that can be a good thing.

Stuart said...

Some people thought the Coens were playing it too straight, but I don't think so. I think they were being themselves, just in a serious way.

it does make you think, but not by amming questions down your throat