Saturday, April 19, 2008

Sharkblog

A blog is like a shark and your shark is struggling to breathe J

Was the content of an insightful sms I received this morning. Apologies for the lack of blogging recently, I hope I haven't done lasting damage to my readership base.

Posting will lightly remain light for a bit still, but in the meantime I cannot recommend this podcast highly enough if you happen to be blessed with abundant bandwidth. I can find very little online about this Weingast character other than the fact that he seems a very respectable sort of chap. This means that his ideas are not very influential, which means that I'm probably wrong to be so bowled over by the interview. But, if I'd heard it before the Iraq war I'd say there's a good chance that it would have been sufficient to convince me not to support it. I can't say that about anything else I've heard or read since it became apparent that it was a big mistake.

Maybe the reason I like it so much is that Weingast believes that there has, in fact, been a massive decoupling of economic and political power (not in Trevor's sense, but in a non-trivial sense which involves access to violence) and that it's difficult to overstate the role this has played in the development of human civilisation. It is always fun to hear someone say stuff you've already thought but in a much smarter, more convincing way (of course there's the possibility that I completely misunderstand him).

1 comment:

Servidores said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Servidor, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://servidor-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.