Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I want to believe (true things)

I used to be a huge fan of the X-files, until it got crap. I really wanted that gray poster of a UFO with the slogan "I want to believe". Now I really want nice aliens to visit us, but this is the stupidest slogan ever (I'm not even sure . Hollywood is often telling us just to suck it up and believe in stuff. Not God generally, just anything. The Polar Express was all about believing in Father Christmas, Kung Fu Panda recommends believing in your own Kung Fu ability despite abundant evidence to the contrary. I notice it all the time, but this is a terrible message. You should want to believe things that are true, perhaps we can act to make them true by being clever, maybe not, but just scrunching up my face in willing myself to think that something is true? No thanks.

No comments: