Tuesday, August 05, 2008

OMG

Does Obama have a sense of humour? Some pundits with nothing better to do think this is important. Not really it seems, but this is pretty good.

Obama began by recalling a moment in Tuesday night's debate when he and his rivals were asked to name their biggest weakness. Obama answered first, saying he has a messy desk and needs help managing paperwork - something his opponents have since used to suggest he's not up to managing the country. Former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards said his biggest weakness is that he has a powerful response to seeing pain in others, and Clinton said she gets impatient to bring change to America.

"Because I'm an ordinary person, I thought that they meant, 'What's your biggest weakness?'" Obama said to laughter from a packed house at Rancho High School. "If I had gone last I would have known what the game was. And then I could have said, 'Well, ya know, I like to help old ladies across the street. Sometimes they don't want to be helped. It's terrible.'"

Good stuff. This reflects well on Obama, but I just can't get over how shocking the other responses were. They're really, truly appalling. Edwards is worst, and I never liked him, but surely this response from Clinton is enough to make her unsuitable for the presidency.

Or maybe the worst of it is that some people (pundits I mean) thought this reflected worst on Obama! Apparently even educated people want to be fed insulting, pathetic, laughable bullshit.

I've gotta say though, I do miss this kind of thing. Hilary was so wonderfully hateable. Things are so much duller now.

Added: Crikey! This is a terribly written post.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

I definitely prefer Obama's answer, though it's probably not honest either. At least he didn't try to portray something that everyone considers as a heroic quality as a "weakness"! pathetic!

Trevor Black said...

The comment on the link was illuminating... someone mentioned that women's mags say that a messy desk is a good answer to that question in a job interview as long as you follow it up with the fact that you are productive anyway. Obama also benefits from going first in that he can say he wouldn't have given one of the obviously pathetic answers the others gave.

I wouldn't give him too much credit as his answer is pretty hollow as well. Not a... my greatest weakness is my lack of experience type answer or something that could be used in attacking him.

That said, it was funny.

stuart said...

don't get me wrong, Obama's answer is bullshit, but it's the only sort of answer thats ok (i think the question itself is dumb).

The bit that reflects well on him is his response to the others answers not his first answer. Also he doens't assume that people want a combination of dishonesty and drivel from him. cos that would be insulting, which is at least better than the others.