Monday, November 17, 2008

?

I've been confused by my reaction to Trevor's last post in which he says
I am a capitalist. But that doesn't mean I don't want the poor to do well...
I am an Atheist. But I have a strong moral core (in my humble opinion).
My reaction was that Trevor's wording implicitly endorses these common beliefs, even though I know that's what he's taking a stance against.

And yet that remains my impression. I'm sure that says something about me rather than Trevor's post. Just though I'd note it...

3 comments:

Tracy said...

I think that if the word "But" was changed to "And" it would make a different impression - the impression that these two things can go together logically.
The way it's written here sounds like they're contradictory statements.

Tracy said...

The first sentence also needs to remove the negatives, it should rather be written in the positive "and I want the poor to do well".

Stuart said...

I think that sounds right on both counts.

I worry that I come across as to keen on criticising trevor. if I had been able to pin it down like this, i'd have written my post differently.