Tuesday, November 25, 2008

So, I've been evicted...

In a rather dramatic turn of events, my apartment building has been condemned and I've got till Friday to move out (I found out last Friday).

Last night I attended this endless meeting with other tenants, 4 (!) people from the letting agent, the owners mother and the owners lawyer. In two hours I learned nothing concrete, though I do have a clearer idea of what's going to happen in the next few days.

I feel a little guilty that this isn't affecting me as badly as it is the rest of the tenants. I'm lucky, it's an inconvenience but I'm glad to avoid paying rent in December. One of my neighbour's has been living there for over 30 years, she's very old and has lots of stuff. Many people had been living there for years; to be evicted on such short notice really, really sucks.

We were reassured that we'd get our deposits back, once they've inspected the flats, which is very gracious. It is reasonable to do the inspections on the ground floor, where I am, because these flats are not really affected by the damaged roof, but it's funny to think of people scrutinising my flat with a fine tooth comb just after I've been evicted because the flat is not safe for human habitation.

If the deposit is not paid out, you can expect a rather more colourful post to follow.

No comments: