Friday, December 12, 2008

"I can't help you with that!"

This is possibly my favourite "incredulous stare" moment (I've blogged it before). That was Greg's response to my claim that I was serious in my recommendation that he freeze himself in the hope of being reanimated sometime in the future (cryonics).

Robin Hanson has a post up on cryonics. I'm struck by how few people have signed up. Only a thousand people are signed up and only a hundred are actually frozen. Given how many billions of dollars are thrown away every year on pointless medical treatments it's crazy that cryonics is still viewed with such suspicion.

So, why haven't you signed up yet?

I haven't signed up yet but I will if I ever start earning any money. Maybe I'll trade my kidney for a lifetime cryonics policy...

4 comments:

EY said...

You do not have to sell a damn kidney to afford cryonics. Go with the Cryonics Institute and it's $120/year plus however much it costs you to get at least $50,000 of life insurance.

mutt said...

I was kidding about the kidney.

Greg Torr said...

But you are thinking of selling a kidney, right?

mutt said...

Yip. But not to fund a cryonics policy.

How close do you think south africa is to legalising kidney sales? Doesn't seem to be in the news much...