Saturday, February 14, 2009

Thoughts on the Australian Open

Obviously it was a pretty devastating one for Federer fans. His capitulation in the fifth set was as inexplicable as it was lame. Crying during his speech didn't help either, it just made the difference between him and Nadal seem really big. Nadal has to keep trying to prop him up by telling him how great he is. For the rest of time (unless Federer wins the French open, preferably against Nadal, which won't happen) the Nadal issue will always prevent him from being considered the GOAT. Two comments about the final sum up a lot. Shelly (who I don't really know) said, "Nadal looks like he's trying to win and Federer's trying not to lose." I've thought this often when watching them play, but I never thought to put it so bluntly for some reason. Greg said something like, "this is especially bad because Federer really thought he was going to win." Which I also think has a lot of truth to it. The crying was a running out of excuses, there are always stories to explain away why things went the way they did, and I could tell a few myself, but this one was a little too much.

On the other hand, in a lot of ways it just shouldn't seem like such a big deal. The best player in the world beat the second best player in a close and, fifth set not included, good match, so what's the big deal? Getting to the final really is very good and it looked likely that he wouldn't even do that for a while. It's worth remembering that there is no precedent for someone going so deep into every major tournament he plays. All the other greats got beaten by random players in random matches. Federer only loses to Nadal, an all time great and in the final.

3 comments:

Trevor Black said...

For me, the GOAT label is less important since presumably it is near impossible to tell, and there will be someone greater at a later stage.

What I don't want to happen is for it to disintegrate. The response at this final makes it less/not possible for him to 'retire at the top of his game'.

What I want to see from him now is a bit of fight. To carry on playing the awesome tennis that he is playing even if there is one person he just can't beat...

After all, for a long time, he was that one person for every other person on the planet that picked up a tennis racquet.

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
might , perhaps curious to know how one can make real money .
There is no initial capital needed You may begin earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The firm represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a correct companion utilizes your money in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://utezociva.freewebsitehosting.com/ofegogu.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Hello everyone!
I would like to burn a theme at here. There is such a thing, called HYIP, or High Yield Investment Program. It reminds of ponzy-like structure, but in rare cases one may happen to meet a company that really pays up to 2% daily not on invested money, but from real profits.

For several years , I earn money with the help of these programs.
I'm with no money problems now, but there are heights that must be conquered . I get now up to 2G a day , and my first investment was 500 dollars only.
Right now, I managed to catch a guaranteed variant to make a sharp rise . Visit my blog to get additional info.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]