Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Seriously?

Ugh. In the "great" Sampras vs. Agassi rivalry I always rooted for Sampras for reasons that now escape me. It's not that I wish he'd won more so that Sampras would have been overtaken by Federer already, Agassi seems cooler and was a more interesting player to watch.

I feel partially vindicated by this stupid comment Agassi made about Nadal winning the grand slam this year

This is the first time in a long time we're going to have the opportunity for somebody to pull it off...

I didn't think I'd ever see it, just because it seems impossible.

It's true that for most of the 80's and all of the 90's there were no players who could plausibly have won the grand slam. But you see, Federer has twice come within two sets of winning four straight slams. The first time he won the first set 6-1 against Nadal so must have been at better than 50% of doing the deed. Or maybe 2007 is a long time ago in Agassi's book.

Yes, 4 straight isn't a proper grand slam, but each of those times he went on to win both Wimbledon and the US Open, which isn't exactly out of character for him since he won each of them 5 times in a row.

That's not to say Nadal wont win all four this year, I think he has a great chance (I compute it at around 10%). But it is to say that it was a really dumb thing for Agassi to say.

No comments: